Rabu, 4 April 2012

06 di bukit tinggi - Google Blog Search

06 di bukit tinggi - Google Blog Search

BLOG PAHANG: 06 <b>di bukit tinggi</b> - Google Blog Search

Posted: 02 Apr 2012 01:26 AM PDT

URL Sumber Asal :-

<b>Bukittinggi</b>- a Fun Name! « Kerri&#39;s Asian Adventures

Posted: 31 Mar 2012 08:16 AM PDT

I left Lake Toba and headed to the hill town of Bukittinggi. I did not know much about the town except I liked to say the name. Bu-kit-ting-gi. It sounds like a tingling place. I knew it was a few hours from Padang and I decided I wanted to fly from Padang to Java next.

I met a British guy, Dan, on the ferry from Samosir Island to Parapat. He was also headed to Bukittinggi. We both recognized each other because we stayed at the same guesthouse in Berastagi. This is one of the fun parts of traveling and following the "tourist path." He was planning to take a public bus while I made reservations for a air conditioned tourist bus. But soon he found himself at the same tourist bus office as me. Everyone told him that there were no more public buses that day heading south. We do not know how true this was, but he decided to book a seat on the tourist bus.

The bus was an hour late. While we waited, we befriended a local kid that was hanging outside the bus office. He seemed very cute and photogenic. I liked the boy until he turned into a beast. A little puppy crawled under my legs and the kid kept grabbing it by its fur and skin. The dog kept yelping and I slapped the boy's hands and said "TIDAK!" (no). So instead the kid tried to kick the dog. None of the local adults around seemed to care. Finally, someone seemed to try to tell the kid no after I kept trying to protect the poor puppy. I bet that dog is tortured daily by that child. I would hate to be a dog in this part of the world.

It was a 16 hour drive through a lot of bumpy roads. Later we found out that we made very good time. About two weeks ago, a bridge collapsed or was out of commission and the record time for a bus from Berastagi to Bukittinggi was 42 hours. My seat did not recline much so I am shocked I got as much sleep as I did. We arrived at 10am. We had some fried rice near the bus station while we skimmed Dan's Lonely Planet Sumatra pages he tore out of a book. We picked out a guesthouse that sounded nice. We attempted to walk there but realized the bus station was not the one we thought it was on the Lonely Planet map. We were a lot further from the center of town. We got a mini-bus. I said the streets "Pemuda and Veteran" but I was not sure if the driver understood me. But I guess that is the intersection where most tourist stay. He dropped us at the corner. I spotted Rajawali guesthouse right away.

It is not the classiest of guesthouses, but the owner is very friendly and helpful. Uli (short for Ulrich) is German and married to an Indonesian woman. Their granddaughter was staying with them while we were in town. The little girl was so cute and speaks five languages. FIVE! I am jealous. I read an article our second night about bilinguals having stronger brains.  This girl will grow up brilliant.

Our first day, we walked around the town. We went searching for a fort that was in town called "Fort de Kock." (Yes, I giggled about the name.) It was a fort built by the Dutch during the Padri Wars of 1821 to 1837. It was not much of a fort. It looked more like a concrete viewing platform. We climbed to the top for views. We chatted up there for a bit. There is a walkway that goes over the main road of town and to a zoo. We paid 5000Rp to visit the "fort" and then snuck into the zoo via the footbridge.

It was the saddest zoo I ever saw. The enclosures were small. There were no toys or playthings to keep the animals occupied. The bears and apes seemed to beg for visitors to throw food. There was some feline animal with a sign saying it was a carnivore. But the only food I saw in the cage were bananas and papaya. The orangutans had dreadlocks and fat faces. They did not have enough room for exercise. And it seemed they got fed food from the foodstall vendors. A vendor climbed the fence that blocks the visitors from the cages to feed the apes sandwiches and milk with a straw. The crocodile cages had live ducks that seemed to have maimed wings. I guess that was how they were fed. We saw a few dead ducks floating in the croc ponds. I did not see anyone who seemed to be a zoo employee. I have no idea who actually cares for the animals. It was depressing. The highlights were seeing turtle sex and a buck that liked to put his nose under the female deers while they peed. National geographic type of entertainment.

Uli helped us plan out our stay. He suggested hikes. He helped us rent a motorbike for one day. Most of the rental places wanted either a large cash deposit or your passport as a guarantee in case anything happens to the bike. But we were worried that if there was a little scratch on the bike, they would either keep the deposit or passport if we did not pay extra for the "damage." So instead, we went to a bookshop that knew Uli and rented motorbikes. They trusted Uli's faith in us and were satisfied with a copy of my passport. They only had one bike to rent and it was a semi-automatic. I can drive a manual shift car but I did not trust myself to try a motorbike. So Dan drove and I was the photographing passenger.

We drove around Gunung Merapi. It was an amazing ride. The scenery was gorgeous. Bukittinngi is surrounded by three volacanoes. There are lakes and villages to visit. We got a late start so did not stop as much as we could have if we started early in the morning.

We stopped in  Butusangkur for lunch. The man working at the restaurant said something to us when we entered and we responded "terima kasih" (thank you). We did not realize that he asked us if we wanted to order Padang and by saying thank you, we agreed. He brought us each a plate of rice and a bowl of extra rice. Then there were several plates of different side dishes. We could figure out a lot of it seemed to be fish or chicken. Some of it was a complete mystery. You are charged depending on how many of the dishes you take. Out of fourteen dishes, we ate four. The chicken I tried was okay but cold. I was not in the mood for fish. Also, I started to think that ever since eating a mostly vegetarian diet in India, I seem to not crave meat much.

We thought we were lost at one point. We stopped because we saw a water wheel irrigation system. We took some photos. We asked a local which way was Padangpajang and realized we were heading in the right direction. (That is another name of a town I like to say. Pa-dang-pa-jang.)  We stopped at a lake. I took some photos of kids. Children love to yell  "hello, what is your name?" I like to answer back in Bahasa Indonesian "Nama saya Kerri". It makes them giggle.

We got rained on quite a bit. I was glad to have my raincoat to protect my bag and camera. Poor Dan was drenched. He said it felt like hail hitting his face at times. We made it back to Bukittinngi after only four hours of riding. I was tired. I do not know how people manage long rides on motorbikes. My butt was sore.

The next day, I planned to go hiking with Dan. There is a canyon right outside of town. We could walk through it to Kota Gadang in two and half hours. That village is known for it's silversmiths. There was a Saturday market we wanted to visit. But I decided I wanted to sleep in that morning instead. So Dan went off by himself and I snoozed. I woke up at one point and my bed was shaking. I thought maybe there were people in the room below me jumping up and down. That night I learned that there was a 4.6 earthquake in northern Sumatra at 11am. The earthquake was shaking my bed and woke me up! I should not be surprised since Indonesia is along a very active fault. I wonder if I will experience anymore in the next two weeks.

I spent most of that last day being lazy. I had lunch with an American-Canadian couple. They have a antique business in Vermont and deal in gems. They have traveled extensively. They told me some great travel stories. They helped me with ideas of how to spend my last days in Indonesia. After researching information online, I walked to see the canyon. I did not want to walk to the bottom since it was 5pm. I went to the panoramic platform for beautiful views of the canyon with Merapi and Singgalang volcanoes in the background.

That evening, I ran into Dan at a cafe. We were joined by the gem couple. We all enjoyed some more stories and drinks. Then we said our goodbyes. I had a shuttle bus at 4:30 am to the airport. I was leaving Sumatra and headed to Java.

lost in my reality: Review: Hing Kee, <b>Bukit Tinggi</b> Klang

Posted: 02 Apr 2012 08:23 AM PDT

[unable to retrieve full-text content]Review: Hing Kee, Bukit Tinggi Klang. Just realized that this is a relatively unknown place (on Google). Here's the location and contact number: No 4 Lorong Bayu Tinggi 1C/K5 Batu Unjur, 41200 Klang Tel# 019-204 8988 ...

Tiada ulasan:

Catat Komen